June 1, 2016 Meeting Minutes

 

dhhcan%20logo

 

DHHCAN Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Gallaudet Alumni House

(Thanks to GUAA for their generous support of the DHHCAN meeting space.)

 

Meeting called to order at 12:13 PM.

 

Roll Call

 

Voting Members quorum achieved

  • Claude Stout, TDI
  • Tom Dowling, DSA
  • Zainab Alkebsi, NAD
  • Art Roehrig, AADB
  • Mary Lynn Lally, GUAA
  • Lise Hamlin, HLAA

 

Organizational Partners

  • Julie Schafer, RID
  • Barbara Raimondo, CEASD
  • Al Sonnenstrahl, ADARA

 

Guests

Bridgetta Bourne-Firl, ASDC

Tim Frelich, ASDC

Michele Mulligan, CPADO

Samuel Jones, citizen

 

Interpreters

  • Jayne Tubergen Magneson
  • Jan Nishimura
  • Pat Richey

 

Approval of Minutes

  • The minutes for the April 6, 2016 meeting stands as read. The minutes for the May 4, 2016 meeting stands as read and revised pending an amendment reflecting ADARA as an organizational partner rather than a guest given that its dues was paid prior to the meeting.

 

Officers’ Reports:

 

Chair’s Report (Claude)

  • Claude gave an update on the process for the list of “cradle to grave” recommendations that DHHCAN will jointly submit to the two US presidential campaigns. He sent out invitations to chairs for seven different subject areas: Civil Rights Protection and Enforcement; Education; Employment; Healthcare; Housing; Telecommunications, Information Services and Video Programming; and Transportation. Due to concerns expressed about the originally proposed timeline, the timeline will be adjusted. See Special Session section below for details.
  • Claude remarked on Nyle DiMarco’s outstanding win on Dancing with the Stars (DWTS). He handled himself very well on camera. Sonny added what a big factor fan voting was. The Deaf community made a big difference through VRS calls and he thanks Deaf organizations like NAD and TDI for that. He says we need PR to illustrate this historic occurrence.
  • Claude explained that he will not be at the next meeting on September 7. Bernie will take over as chair for that meeting in his stead.
  • Claude also explained that he had invited Billy Bowman from SSA to join us for today’s meeting to discuss SSA issues but he retired last week and moved to Bethany Beach, Delaware.
  • Claude informed us that he had a good lunch with Malcolm Glenn from Uber. He is pleased that there are now more and more Deaf and hard of hearing drivers, about 3,000 now. Michele pointed out that Uber is not accessible for wheelchair users. Claude agreed and explained that he told Malcolm that it is possible to modify vans if drivers have vans. Claude suggested having someone from Uber that focuses on accessibiity issues come present at a future meeting, possibly Malcolm Glenn at the October meeting. Everyone was supportive of that idea.
  • Claude reminded the group that the HLAA conference will be June 23-26th in D.C., the NAD conference will be July 5-9 in Phoenix, and the ASDC conference will be in Columbia towards the end of June.

Vice Chair’s Report (Bernie)

  • Not present.

Secretary’s Report (Zainab)

  • Minutes approved.
  • Zainab inquired as to whether there is any update regarding the new DHHCAN website. Claude responded that he has yet to follow up and will do so soon.
  • Sonny suggested we look into Susan Sien as a possible vendor to help us with the website for a small fee. She is retired and does web design. Sonny says her work is very readable and user-friendly.

Treasurer’s Report (Tom)

  • Current Balance in BB&T Checking Account (6/1/16): $24,782.79

 

Committee Reports

 

Technology/ Relay Services (Zainab)

  • ACCESS Advisory Committee (under DOT) had its first meeting for its In-Flight Entertainment/In-flight Communications (IFE/IFC) working group on May 17-18. Zainab was appointed co-chair for the IFE & IFC working group. The working group meetings will start this week and then the next plenary meeting is mid-June.
  • Zainab, Lise, and others met with industry and FCC to discuss preliminary views on the forthcoming Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) order based on the previously submitted Consensus Proposal.
  • The Consumer Groups filed reply comments to the FCC for the set-top box (STB) proposal:
    • We urged the Commission again to ensure that accessibility is appropriately addressed if it moves forward with its proposed rules.
    • We urged the FCC to exercise reasonable ancillary authority to treat apps like STBs.
    • The proposed rules should be implemented in a way that avoids consumer confusion and ensures quality customer service.
  • Zainab is currently working on drafting omnibus comments for DOJ web accessibility regulations. It was a disappointment that the process is being dragged out yet again when we should already be at the Final Regulation stage. Zainab encouraged everyone to send her any frustrating website accessibility experiences they may have in regard to lack of access to audio and audiovisual content.

Employment

  • No report.

 

Communication Accommodations

  • No chair yet.

 

Hearing Health (Lise)

  • Lise will email the group a report from the Institute of Medicine in regard to hearing aid affordability.

 

Education   (Barbara)

  • The Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act (H.R. 3535), now has 29 sponsors, including 5 Republicans. We are still looking for a Republican sponsor in the Senate. Congress has not yet begun work on the IDEA reauthorization so we still have time. We plan to continue our efforts in the next Congress.
  • Bridgetta asked what CEASD’s position is on language access. Barbara responded full language acquisition in the 0-3 program.
  • Mary Lynn brought up the decline of state schools for the deaf and wondered why this is still happening.
  • Sonny responded that unfortunately there is still a negative perception of deaf schools and that is what Nyle can change.
  • Bridgetta explained that 50% of 86% of deaf students are isolated in mainstream schools.

 

Special Session:

  • Invitations have been sent to potential chairs for each respective working group. He will update us on who accepts.
  • The timeline for the “cradle-to-grave” recommendations has been adjusted as follows:
  • The Working Groups will spend the next six weeks to work on the list of recommendations for each subject area.  The chairs of the Working Groups will maintain communication and activity work with the members of the Working Groups (from June 1 through July 31).
  • The Chairs of the Working Groups will submit to the steering committee their draft list of recommendations no later than July 31.
  • The steering committee, with lead from Claude, will review the working groups’ respective lists, and give input/suggestions to the chairs of the working groups no later than August 8.  Time will be allowed for the working groups to review and give input; they will have until August 10 to respond back to the steering committee.
  • The steering committee will finalize the document, based on final input from the working groups, by August 15.
  • Claude will send the document to Presidents/Executive Directors of DHHCAN member organizations and professional organizations for input/approval. Claude will also formally invite CCASDHH, NASADHH, CPADO, and ASDC, the four non-member partners, one more time to provide input and indicate their sign-ons to the final document.  This will take place August 15 to August 29. 
  • The steering committee finalizes the document.  Then Claude sends the document by email to the two US Presidential campaigns by August 31.

 

Old Business

  • None.

 

New Business

  • None.

 

Announcements

  • None.

 

Next Meeting Date

  • Wednesday, September 7 at Gallaudet Alumni House.

The Chair adjourned the meeting at 1:54 pm.

 

Submitted by

Zainab Alkebsi, Secretary